Monday, April 5, 2010

2004 MODULE 2 ESSAY

General Notes for Communication Studies

Look at the questions and make a comment that connects all or as many of the questions as possible. When answering each question specifically the tip is that you want to make a GENERAL statement that’s acts as the Intro to the paragraph…to frame this Intro you ask yourself what do I know generally about what the questions is asking for.

Using Module 2 from 2004 from Paper 2

There are many factors that influence a writer’s language choice; some of these are the context, the audience and the message content. In Alicia Mc Kenzie’s Pinkie this is certainly the case as we see as the choice of language is Creole in the Basilect variation.
a. The relation between language choice (Creole) and context/setting/situation (the beauty parlour) : context influence language choice. The context in Communication refers to the place (a hairdressing salon) and the grouping of people (interpersonal conversation). The term language choice implies that there are other languages that could have been used but this was specifically chosen. In this excerpt the language choice was creole in the Basilect and Mesolect variation. Because the context is casual the language is casual. The persons in the conversation are friends/acquaintances and as such they are comfortable to speak to each other in their mother tongue. Creole is appropriate as Pinkie and Ms Daisy obviously are West Indians and as such when the Creole is spoken by either of them it is understood. Examples are:

b. As with question (a) there are factors such as audience, content and nationality which when taken into consideration lend to the appropriateness of a narrator’s choice of language. In this case the narrator uses the Basilect variation as seen in “ I start to tell her bout a whole heap of strikes in England ...”. Who are the people who’d read this? Most likely it will be West Indians. Pinkie was complaining about her birth country in creole and so one expects the narrator to respond likewise in creole. Also there is a perception that creole will get the true meaning and feelings across. For example in the opening sentence Pinkie says “that is why this country will nevah get ahead, nevah get ahead.” A reader immediately knows that she is angry and in a complaining mode. So it is appropriate because of these main reasons: they are West Indians friends, the topic lends itself to complaint, and they are in a casual/informal setting.

c. Is Pinkie’s language linguistically or non-linguistically motivated? How do we identify linguistic motivation? When we are asked for non linguistic factors you should write about such factors as
• Phonetics – how the speaker articulates their speech sounds e.g. Guyanese roll their ‘r’
And Trinidadians do not
• Phonology - how the speaker systematically uses sounds in language / the sounds of words
• Morphology – how words are structured or formed e.g. dog, yes, swing or un-happi-ness
• Syntax – how the speaker constructs sentences or how words are organized e.g. phrases, clauses, sentences
• Semantics – how the speaker makes meaning of the words in the sentence e.g In the US most people refer to death as ‘passed’ whereas in Trinidad we say ‘died’ or in the US they say ‘pop’
for “soda” and in Trinidad we say “soft drink’ or “sweet drink” and sometimes you may even hear “seet drink”

Non linguistic factors can persons believing:
• that Americans and British speak the same way
• that learning to speak in a foreign language by just listening to the television or being in that country for a short holiday or from being around foreigners regularly e.g. a Hotel worker, tour guide
• that an accent is all that is needed to learn a language

d. A video presentation of any piece will enhance it especially in the area of clearing up ‘fuzziness’ of words, phrases and situation. (give examples from the excerpt here)


2009 MODULE 2 PAPER 1
QUESTION 4 b. State two non- linguistic reasons why the students are NOT speaking Std English
N.B It is widely perceived that most speakers use Std Eng in formal situations or when they are speaking to a stranger ...so in this scenario we are asking ourselves ...” Why did they choose to speak Creole? Why would one person be comfortable or be proud speak to Creole in any context and another will not do such? And on the other hand why the others choose the Standard and are just as comfortable or proud with it?
Possible answers...They were not in a formal setting/ the situation was a casual one
Creole is their first language and they are comfortable with speaking it / they are in an English speaking country etc.

STUDENTS FEEDBACK NEEDED...If in anyway this has helped you please take the timeout to share a cooment with the author. Thank you.

20 comments:

  1. It has really helped a lot! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankes to Dr OSAZE, who cured me of fallopian tube blockage and fibroid. i married for over eight years wthout a child of my own. because of the problem with my fallopian tubbe and fibroid, until i came in conntact with Dr OSAZE's testimony and recommendations online, on how he has cured and healed so many people of the same illment, and i decided to contact him, and he administered his medicatons on me, and i became pregnant in two monnths. incasse you wannt to reach him for a similar problem, you can call or whatsap him on +2347089275769 or email: DROSAZEHERBAL@GMAIL.COM

      Delete
    2. Thankes to Dr OSAZE, who cured my wife of fallopian tube blockage and fibroid. we got married for over eight years wthout a child of our own. because of the problem with my fallopian tubbe and fibroid, until we came in conntact with Dr OSAZE's testimony and recommendations online, on how he has cured and healed so many people of the same illment, and we decided to contact him, and he administered his medicatons on my wife, and she became pregnant in two monnths. incasse you wannt to reach him for a similar problem, you can call or whatsap him on +2347089275769 or email: DROSAZEHERBAL@GMAIL.COM

      Delete
  2. Thank u so much because this has helped me a lot in preparing me 4 my mock and my final examination

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have communication studies examination on the 9th. This will help alot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Herbal medicine is the best Greetings I am here to testify how great man called Dr OMO helped me out with herbs and roots which he prepared for me in use of curing my fibroids and Getting pregnant after 8 years of try to conceive with fibroids I takes his product (cure for my fibroid made with herbal medicine Root) for (14) days before I am to known I was totally pregnant after 2months of using dr omo herbs he also have Herbal medical for all types of diseases, and i promise him that i will tell the world about his Great job he ask me to drink from the herbal medicine before meeting my husband I did and after 2months I was pregnant thank you for your great job he can also help you if you have a low sperm count you want to convince a baby fast PCOS ,infections, stomach ucler , COPD Endometriosis, breast cancer,HIV?AID,ALS, yeast infection, Gonorrhea, Chronic Sinus, HPV low testosterone, Herpes, blocked fallopian tubes Liver parasites ovarian Arthritis, Cysts, pile, Crowns and all other type of diseases, STRETCH MARKcream, breast cancer, male-enhancement Cream, BARENESS/INFERTILITY, pile, Get lost period back, stop period pain, Email : dromo596@gmail.com WhatsApp him on +2349033505260 thank you for all your work..

      Delete
  4. I have communication studies examination on the 9th. This will help alot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Thomas It Wud!!... It was very informative

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Thomas It Wud!!... It was very informative

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can someone help me with module with module 3 please I need help! And also module 2 section D (how technology can highlight the effects)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  9. 2018 Thanks, Helpful indeedđź’—

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Weak Erection,Wart Remover,Hpv,Herpes,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Liver/Kidney Inflamatory,Epilepsy,Infertility,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  11. super...... plz Check out this video----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njCo8SRpOLY

    ReplyDelete
  12. I freely have
    promise to the people keep telling good things about @doctor_drosa #healthcareadministration he can as well cure 1. HIV / AIDS 2. HERPES 3. CANCER 4. ALS 5. HEPATITIS B 6. DIABETES 7. HUMAN PAPILOMA VIRUS DISEASE (HPV) 8. ALZHEIMER 9. LUPUS (Lupus Vulgaris if you have any body that need help just give them @doctor_drosa contact on
    +2348114596718.you can alsocontactdoctor on Gmail drosaherbalhome01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Can you please post the answer to Communication Studies Paper 2 Module 2 2014 please. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Herbal medicine is the best Greetings I am here to testify how great man called Dr OMO helped me out with herbs and roots which he prepared for me in use of curing my fibroids and Getting pregnant after 8 years of try to conceive with fibroids I takes his product (cure for my fibroid made with herbal medicine Root) for (14) days before I am to known I was totally pregnant after 2months of using dr omo herbs he also have Herbal medical for all types of diseases, and i promise him that i will tell the world about his Great job he ask me to drink from the herbal medicine before meeting my husband I did and after 2months I was pregnant thank you for your great job he can also help you if you have a low sperm count you want to convince a baby fast PCOS ,infections, stomach ucler , COPD Endometriosis, breast cancer,HIV?AID,ALS, yeast infection, Gonorrhea, Chronic Sinus, HPV low testosterone, Herpes, blocked fallopian tubes Liver parasites ovarian Arthritis, Cysts, pile, Crowns and all other type of diseases, STRETCH MARKcream, breast cancer, male-enhancement Cream, BARENESS/INFERTILITY, pile, Get lost period back, stop period pain, Email : dromo596@gmail.com WhatsApp him on +2349033505260 thank you for all your work..

    ReplyDelete
  15. The reign of HIV/aids has finally come to an end as the cure is available now. I was tormented by the disease for years and I managed to live with the help of antiretroviral drugs, I spent all that I have and went into borrowing because the drugs were capital intensive. I saw Dr. Iyabiye’s recommendation online while surfing for a solution I gave it a try and I tested negative at the hospital after the completion of the medicine and now I am healed. You too can be cured of HIV/aids. Contact the doctor through: iyabiyehealinghome@gmail.com phone +234-815-857-7300

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you suffer FIBROID? The cure/solution is available now, Dr. Uduehi has the solution to fibroid and I am a testimony to his medication. I was a victim of UTERINE FIBROID for years. I had Pelvic pain, heavy menstrual bleeding symptoms and miscarriages. I took different type medicine and even did surgery and it came back after some time, I read about Dr. Uduehi’s recommendation online and I reached out to him and the fibroid shrink totally after the medication and it’s more than a year since I got free no sign of fibroid and am pregnant now for the first time. Doctor’s contact: +234-708-487-8384 (uduehiherbalcare@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete